The Professional Standards Unit is what may be commonly referred to as Internal Affairs. The Gloucester Township Police Department is committed to providing law enforcement services that are fair, effective, and impartially applied. Our police officers are held to the highest standards of conduct and are expected to respect the rights of all citizens. Officers’ adherence to these standards, motivated by a moral and professional obligation to perform their job to the best of their ability, is the ultimate objective of the Gloucester Township Police Department. The Gloucester Township Police Department Professional Standards Unit, has a group of dedicated detectives committed to thoroughly investigating all alleged complaints against our employees. The Gloucester Township Police Department strives to achieve the very best law enforcement practices, and to provide the very best service to the community that we serve.
The 4 A’s of Internal Affairs
1. ANYONE – Any individual must be permitted to file an Internal Affairs complaint. It can be a victim, a friend of the victim, a parent, a juvenile (with or without parents), an illegal alien (we are not permitted to ask about immigration status) or it can be anonymous. ANYONE means ANYONE.
2. ANY WAY – An Internal Affairs complaint can be filed in ANY WAY. It could be filed by phone, by letter, written on a napkin, in person… Whatever is best for the person filing. We cannot make someone show up in person or swear the statement to initiate the complaint process.
3. ANY TIME – A complaint must be taken regardless of the hour or day of the week. At no time should a complaint be told to return later, even if the IA officer is unavailable. ANY law enforcement officer or civilian employee must take a complaint.
4. ANYTHING – As long as a complaint has sufficient factual information, the complaint must be investigated. It is predicated upon the victim’s view of the situation.
* * * LAW ENFORCEMENT MUST AVOID ANY LANGUAGE THAT IS DESIGNED TO DISSUADE SOMEBODY FROM FILING A COMPLAINT.* * *
ALL complaints against a police officer, or police department employee, are accepted at ANYTIME by ANYONE (24 hours a day/7 days a week) by a member of the Professional Standards Unit, or an on duty police supervisor. If a supervisor is not available than an officer will accept the complaint from any person.
You can also directly contact the Professional Standards Unit at 856-374-3538 or email firstname.lastname@example.org .
From Monday to Thursday between the hours of 8 AM to 5:45 PM you may also contact Police Services at 856-228-4011, or at all other hours at 856-228-4500 for assistance.
NJAG Link To Public Complaint Forms and Citizens Complaint Information Sheets (Arabic, Chinese, English, Haitian, Hindi, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Spanish, Tagalog, and Vietnamese)
GTPD Internal Affairs Update 10-1-2020 (Right-Click to save/download)
GTPD Public Complaint Form (Right-Click to save/download)
GTPD Public Complaint Form – Spanish (Right-Click to save/download)
Internal Affairs Citizen Complaint Intake Checklist (Right-Click to save/download)
GTPD internal Affairs Public Statistics 2019 (Right-Click to save/download)
Employee Professional Standards Process Policy (Right-Click to save/download)
Drug Screening Policy (Right-Click to save/download)