The FBI reported that thefts or the attempted theft of automobiles, trucks, buses, motorcycles, scooters, snowmobiles and other vehicles in its definition of motor vehicle theft was about $5.9 billion in loss in 2016. Nearly half of all stolen vehicles in the United States are due to driver error. For many of us motor vehicles are the primary mode of transportation so remember:
- Do not leave your vehicle unattended while running with the key in the ignition.
(Remote car starters do not apply)
• Always take your keys. Don’t leave them in or on your vehicle.
• Close and lock all windows and doors when you park.
• Park in well-lit areas.
• Never leave valuables in your vehicle, especially where they can be seen.
• Never leave your vehicle while it’s running.
• Park your vehicle in a garage, if possible.To get more information check out https://www.nhtsa.gov/road-safety/vehicle-theft-prevention#37736