Now is your chance to start the process to become a Gloucester Township Police Officer – Join Our Team!
The NJ Civil Service Commission has officially posted the job announcement for Gloucester Township, New Jersey residents on January 3, 2022! Take the first step and sign up for the exam, online applications are being accepted from now until February 28, 2022 at 4 PM- Click HERE for all the details! – https://info.csc.state.nj.us/Vats/WebAnno.aspx?FileNumber=33972
Learn more about GTPD Team! Check out our “Who We Are, What We Do, We Are Here For You!” VIDEO here!
General requirements for taking the New Jersey Department of Personnel Examination to be a police officer in Gloucester Township are:
- Must be a citizen of the United States
- You must meet our residency requirements (you must be a resident of Gloucester Township at the closing date of the application and remain a resident of Gloucester Township up to when you are actually hired or list expires).
- A high school graduate or vocational high school, or possess an approved high school equivalency certificate.
- Must be no less that 18 years of age at the announced closing date and no older than 35 years of age when you file the application for the examination.
- Must possess a valid New Jersey driver’s license.
- You are required to undergo both physical and psychological examination by the appointing authority.
- Candidates will be required to undergo extensive background investigation and oral review board.
- Candidates are required to complete a full time Basic Police Officer Academy Training course at a police academy approved by the New Jersey Police Training Commission. This training consists of approximately 24 weeks. Candidates are paid while in their training.
- Upon graduating the academy, candidates will participate in an intense Field Training Program for approximately 18 weeks where they will be partnered with officers who have been specially trained to assist officers in preparing for police duty.
Full time Police Telecommunicators (dispatcher) are hired through the Gloucester Township Police Department. An application is to be submitted to the Human Resources Department for those interested. Interested persons may apply at anytime by obtaining an application from the Township of Gloucester Human Resources where they will be retained for a one year period from the date of submission.
Gloucester Township also utilize Part Time Police Telecommunicators to assist with dispatcher coverage in our updated Community Policing and Emergency Dispatch Center. Both full time and part time Police Telecommunicators undergo extensive training with the experienced Gloucester Township Police Telecommunicators.
Other Police Department Positions
All other Police Department positions require the applicant to be at least 18 years of age and undergo an extensive criminal background check and oral interview.
Interested persons may apply at anytime by obtaining an application from the Township of Gloucester Human Resources. Applications are retained by Gloucester Township Human Resources for a one year period from the date of submission. Interested persons should additionally follow our GTPD social media, and also periodically check the Gloucester Township website for job announcements.
Any questions on employment opportunities may be sent to email@example.com
Special Police Officer – Class I
Special Police Officers assist with traffic control, court security, security details, park patrol, and transportation of prisoners. Special Police Officers work part time hours ranging up to 29 hours per week.
There is no test administered by the New Jersey Department of Personnel. Candidates are hired based on their completion of an application with the Township of Gloucester. The requirements to be hired as a Class I Special Officer are the same as a regular Police Officer except for the Department of Personnel Testing Process and the type and length of training.
There is no test administered the New Jersey Department of Personnel. Candidates are hired based on their completion of an application with the Township of Gloucester.
You must be able to safely assist children cross the street at various locations throughout the community. Candidates will undergo training in traffic and pedestrian safety by members of the Traffic Safety Unit utilizing a Crossing Guard Training Course approved by AAA of New Jersey.
The Township of Gloucester is an equal opportunity employer. Personnel and Hiring Practices of the Township of Gloucester are governed by Gloucester Township Local Ordinances Chapter five and six.